=xXx=
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

=xXx=

=xXx= is dedicated to the enjoyment and excitement of virtual war gaming.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seeking some advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
vtrucker2000
Private
vtrucker2000

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Seeking some advice Empty
PostSubject: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:42 am

Some of you know me, some don't. Those of you that do know me, know that I am very hindered in my game play by my aged computer. So I am asking for advice on what to obtain, as far as a Mobo and processor, graphics card, sound card, memory. I have a little money to spare for this project, but I don't want to spend more than USD$400 total. Web links are very appreciated!
Back to top Go down
E641
Admin
E641

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:29 pm

as far as memory upgrade, I recently bought 4 Gigs of ram (even thought windows XP does not recognize but 3 Gigs, LOL) for $ 74.00. from www.crucial.com

Just use the scanner on the website and it will scan your system and let you know what will work with your system.

I am sure there are other sites like www.memorygiant.com but I just went with crucial, personal preference.

E
Back to top Go down
stludde
Admin
stludde

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes .....Memory and graf is making big diferenses....exuse my spelling Wink
Back to top Go down
vtrucker2000
Private
vtrucker2000

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 am

All great ideas, but the memory is maxxed out, and the graphics card has been replaced, and it was a little bit of a help, but not much. I have a small oppertunity to build/rebuild my home rig, and am seeking known working combination recommendations. I have the same post on other forums I frequent, so it's not a big deal.

Just to make myself clear, I plan on replacing all the above listed parts, plus the power supply. My current computer is over 6 years odl (manufactured in 1993) and needs these listed parts replaced. I want to keep the case that it's in, as everyone in the house knows it.
Back to top Go down
cocoshooter
Private
cocoshooter

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:24 pm

i use tigerdirect.com or pricewatch.com there are always some really good there and now is a really good time to buy since computer parts are about the lowest i have ever seen. good luck to u.
Back to top Go down
Formed
Private
Formed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 pm

Give me 20 minutes and I will have a list of components for you and you will be gaming with a grin on your face.
Back to top Go down
Formed
Private
Formed

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Truckers Upgrade System

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 CPU - $54.99
GIGABYTE AM2+/AM2 AMD Motherboard - $74.99
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 Memory - $44.99
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W Power Supply - $64.99
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Hard Drive - $54.99
PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB Video Card - $97.99

Grand Total - $392.94

You can reuse your case and CDROM. But due to the newer technology you will need
a new Power Supply and Hardrive. If you would like a bigger Hardrive or add an
Operating System let me know and I can get some cheap prices for you.

Cheers

EDIT:
Gave you the wrong link to the Motherboard, changed it to the right one.
This board is said to have great onboard sound.
Back to top Go down
vtrucker2000
Private
vtrucker2000

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Thank you, Formed!! That was exactly the advice I'm looking for.

A couple of questions for you...
1) Should I use a fan for CPU cooling, or go liquid?
2) The Barracuda is fine dor the OS drive, but I have my eye on a 1TB SATA for under $90! For data only...1/2 will be dedicated for music storage.
3) Is the 550W PS enough? I am considering a 650W Cooler Master Real Power Pro, as I have one already, and love it.

Dude, Thanks for the tips and links. Is this a working system that you have used?
Back to top Go down
Formed
Private
Formed

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:31 pm

vtrucker2000 wrote:
Thank you, Formed!! That was exactly the advice I'm looking for.

A couple of questions for you...
1) Should I use a fan for CPU cooling, or go liquid?
2) The Barracuda is fine dor the OS drive, but I have my eye on a 1TB SATA for under $90! For data only...1/2 will be dedicated for music storage.
3) Is the 550W PS enough? I am considering a 650W Cooler Master Real Power Pro, as I have one already, and love it.

Dude, Thanks for the tips and links. Is this a working system that you have used?

When you order the parts, the Processor will come with an OEM fan, it will do the trick.
550W will be good but if you feel need need more due to Sound Card or long hours of game play,
I would suggest a bigger one. I myself have a 1000W. Oh wait just re-read that you already have
a 650W, use that as long as it has a 24 pin main.

All component manufacters are in high standings with me and most of members and Overclock.net.
And if your worryed about them matching up, I say ney ney!

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Formed
Private
Formed

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:53 pm

Testing sig
Back to top Go down
vtrucker2000
Private
vtrucker2000

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm

Formed wrote:
Truckers Upgrade System

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 CPU - $54.99
GIGABYTE AM2+/AM2 AMD Motherboard - $74.99
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 Memory - $44.99
Rosewill RP550V2-D-SL 550W Power Supply - $64.99
Seagate Barracuda 250GB Hard Drive - $54.99
PNY VCG96512GXEB GeForce 9600 GT 512MB Video Card - $97.99

Grand Total - $392.94

You can reuse your case and CDROM. But due to the newer technology you will need
a new Power Supply and Hardrive. If you would like a bigger Hardrive or add an
Operating System let me know and I can get some cheap prices for you.

Cheers

EDIT:
Gave you the wrong link to the Motherboard, changed it to the right one.
This board is said to have great onboard sound.
Let's try again, shall we? lol!

The cpu is no longer available. Is this a good replacement?AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz
Sorry for bringing up this old thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking some advice   Seeking some advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeking some advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
=xXx= :: Community :: General Chat-
Jump to: